Friday, September 23, 2005


Countdown To Rita: "Written By:
Daniel Gifford


We just received word that the management company who we lease space from is closing all of their buildings and only allowing limited access. Basically, this means we are on our own now, much like the first crew was when Katrina rolled in.

There are rumors that the levees have already begun seeping water. I havent been able to confirm the report, but some of my sources are saying that the Lower 9th Ward, a neighborhood that was completely destroyed from flooding 3 weeks ago, is slowly filling up with water again. I assume that this might be caused by the wind gusts blowing across the lake, but I have no idea...

The city is almost completely vacated now - much more so than before. I just heard on the news that they believe there are only a few thousand people left within the borders of Orleans Parish, most of those being military, police and FEMA. I wouldnt be surprised if we were the only 'civies' left in town. The current population of the city is probably less than that of when Iberville and Bienville founded it in the name of France. Its really depressing. It almost seems like the world has ended at times. The streets are dark, and no one is around. I was butt naked in the middle of the park today trying to take a shower. No one was even around to notice. Unfortunately, the rain stopped, and I had a head full of shampoo, a body covered in soap, and had to run into the office and rinse with a gallon of spring water. Yikes! It was a cold trek into the building! I must say, after 7 days without showering, I feel freakin great!!!

We were able to get these cute, official-looking badges today with our pictures on them. We now have appropriate credentials - we are now part of the New Orleans Business Task Force! Exciting, eh? Not really. From the looks of it, anyone can get one with a local ID and business card. But they make us feel a little more official.

We are still in wait and see mode. We have prepped about as much as humanly possible. There have been some small leaks from floors above us that were dripping into the offices, but we were able to plug them without any problems. Keeping the ship afloat seems to take on more meaning now...

I just got word that we now have 6,000 Gallons of fuel. Should hold us over for quite some time. Apparently, the National Guard stopped by our building on their way out of town to fill up all of our empty drums because they knew we were riding the storm out (no REO Speedwagon comments please!). Those guys rock! I dont get why people say others are against the troops if they dont support the war....Not to bring politics up, but Im a flaming liberal, and I have seen nothing but respect and admiration for those guys. In fact, I would go so far as to say that they are the ones holding this city together. They have been unbelievable, and I dont know if any of them are reading this, but thanks for what you have done abroad, as well as what you have done here in our crippled city and across the rest of the South. The American people, and our friends around the world, have given me new faith in humanity. I have received emails from across the globe showing support, and I know in the face of Lovely Rita you will keep standing your ground.

On a lighter note, I am going to try something different tonight, as I may be leaving for Tampa tomorrow morning...To provide some background, I was sitting here listening to the news earlier, and they were saying that our Governess was asking that those who stayed behind to write their Social Security Number on their arms - you know, in case they have to identify our bodies....Well, that got me to thinking about the whole solidarity site after the London bombings that had people send in photos of themselves holding up 'We are not afraid' signs. Sure, I thought it was a little cheesy when I saw it, but it is also a great way to get people to be interactive with their world and the events that take place within it. Plus, its a little fun.

So I would love it if people did something similiar to show support for those displaced by Katrina, and those who are about to be uprooted by Rita. When the stories start to fade on the evening news, it almost seems like the world is forgetting about us. I know this is not true, based upon the amount of support everyone who reads these blog entries has shown over the last week - but we still need to remember that there are millions of people who have lost their homes and their livelihood to this disaster. Grab a pen and paper (or pull up some skin) and write whatever you want to say, and then take a picture of it with your mugshot (or whatever youd like) and email it to theemptypage@gmail.com. Be as creative as you'd like. And ladies, I have a bunch of Mardi Gras beads at home just waiting to be passed out - but keep in mind that if we get a good response I may set up a gallery for everyones images. If you dont want your image displayed, please say so when sending. Have fun!


Daniel"



(Via The Interdictor.)


No comments: