Monday, May 17, 2004

codemonkey codemonkey give me a clue

For quite a while now I've been trying to find an "easy" way to parse the data I have in iCal, modify it, and then upload it to a server. I have several work calendars, and I would like to combine the work calendars into one calendar, that I could put up on the web, appropriately filtered to remove sensitive information (client names for instance).

I think I've found two sources of information for this endeavor - one using perl, and the other using python.

Python I could use to interface with ical on my mac, but that just feels really icky, as I want to maintain platform independence as much as possible. Sample code is however included. That's useful.

The Perl solution would involve a gaggle of in development modules, which offers a similar dependency problem, though notably independent of Apple.

Why Do I worry about apple? Notes like this, which comment on current bugs that have been fixed for months in internal code repositories, but haven't been pushed out yet. Which in and of itself makes me wonder if an appropriate metaphor for software development should be checkpointing - namely doing releases on a fast time based schedule as opposed to a feature based schedule. OpenBSD's got this down. Microsoft has - Microsoft has some obscene amalgam of a feature and date based release schedule. Then there's Apple. The yearly release schedule for major software they currently have for their system, coupled with random major code drops - quicktime, safari, iApps, is getting irritating. Here's my solution:

Have a major release of OS X twice a year.

Charge for one, make the second a free update. Make it one significant kernel upgrade per year if necessary (though I'm not convinced even that level of conservatism is necessary), but DO update the userland (the apps for instance) twice a year.

that is all.

No comments: