Saturday, July 14, 2007

Network Neutrality starts in the...

I just got kicked out of an internet cafe called Cyber Cafe in Kolkata's Lake Town neighborhood for using the built in windows software Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect back to my computer in the states. This from a computer running XP with all updates turned off with only IE 6.

I was put on the phone with their "Engineer" who told me that if I was going to use his computers, I could only use programs on his computer.

Umm. Ok.

I decided not to argue network neutrality with him, or explain that his network was incredibly insecure, and just got my refund for Rs. 70 for the remaining 9 hours of my ten hour committment.

A pity too, as it was costing me $.20/hr to connect to the internet.

I'm going back to metered GPRS based internet access at $.0013/kb.

Good enough for email, anyways.

--
Sent via mobile.

No comments: