Wednesday, July 20, 2005

"Teh Sappy"

We remember one who inspired us today. Karl Rove and John Roberts can wait until tomorrow.

To engineers in popular culture

the war heroes that played them

may their dreams inspire our futures.

As Wil says:

one to beam up . . .: "

scotty.jpgNewsday:

LOS ANGELES -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original 'Star Trek' TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command 'Beam me up, Scotty,' died early Wednesday. He was 85.



Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. at his Redmond, Wash., home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

I'm too shocked for a thoughtful eulogy right now. Everyone who watched Star Trek liked Scotty, but everyone who met him loved Jimmy . . . I'm sure I'm not the only person today who feels like they lost a friend. My thoughts are with his family.

"



From the comments:

I had the distinct pleasure of working with Jimmy in my capacity of sign language interpreter at a Star Trek con in Chicago several years ago. I don't think Jimmy thought of anyone as just a fan. He loved spending time with them and treated each person as if they were a long-lost friend, including me. On Saturday night, Jimmy hosted a dinner for the fans, dressed in full Scottish regala. He patiently posed for pictures with each individual attendee and with groups. When it was the security team's turn for a photo, they asked me to join them. Quite an honor. Jimmy saw me coming and called for me to stand next to him. He put his arm around my shoulders, his other arm around another woman from the security team. Just as everyone smiled for the camera, it failed. The photographer apologized and said the batteries had died...it would take a few minutes to replace them. Jimmy just grinned and in that famous burr said, "It's alright, laddie. I've got a beautiful woman in each arm. Hell, take your time!" That broke everyone up. I will miss his wonderful sense of humor and gentle spirit. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Posted by: VoxyLady at July 20, 2005 10:34 AM

(Via WIL WHEATON DOT NET: Where is my mind?.)

No comments: