Monday, January 31, 2005

Last night''s dinner of sauerkraut beef soup and beef satay, made by Antonia and served with good wine, was amazing.

So good that I can't feel too bad about the cold I have today, which I am treating with my new concoction of thoroughly skilleted ground beef and uncle ben's rice.

To cope I watched Revenge of the Nerds for the first time, and just ran across this line.

I think robots are sexy.

So true...

Also, I am reminded of a thought I keep having whenever I am flying (in a plane) or when I am in tall buildings. Looking out over a city from several hundred or thousand feet is beautiful. It strikes me as particularly disturbing not that we can get so high, but that it takes such mechanical artifice to get us down safely.

Only the last foot is usually fatal (unless you are travelling fast enough, in which case it can be the first).

sigh. As Douglas Adams once noted, the key to flying is falling towards the ground, but missing it.

Or perhaps more succinctly (at the expense of cliche), it isn't how you get in the air, but how you get down.

1 comment:

Nixie said...

Having just stumbled across the blog - well, thanks, sir. Excellent lamb on your part. Also, nothing like finding a post that reference me in the same post as a reference to Revenge of the Nerds (I love that movie) and flying a la Douglas Adams.

Such a nice blog - been reading all the posts. Also - thanks for the linky - will linky you too...