Thursday, June 10, 2004

yet another post about gmail first impressions

Now that I've made the plunge and switched entirely to gmail, I am googling daily for external interfaces to gmail.

http://www.email2pop.com now offers a pop3/smtp interface to gmail. This sounds useful, but I would really like to see something that will work on unix. I envision a nice imap interface proxy that could run as a daemon on my system. The biggest irritant so far is the lack of notifications when I get a new email.

Gtray is a windows program that at least notifies you when you've received new mail.

Another reason for imap support is offline archiving. There are many clients that can cache an imap server's mailboxes. Offline storage and searching are a powerful feature that gmail doesn't have yet. There must be a way...

No comments: